ARTICLE 1: GENERAL
1.1 These By-Laws relate to the general conduct of the affairs of the Manitoba High School Field Lacrosse League.
1.2 The name of the League will be the Manitoba High School Field Lacrosse League.
1.3 Unless otherwise specified in these By-Laws, meetings of the League will be conducted according to Roberts Rules of Order (current edition).
1.4 The Board of Directors of the League will serve their term of office without remuneration except for reimbursement of expenses as approved by the Board.
ARTICLE 2: MEMBERSHIP
A member is defined as a ‘team’ which participates in the Manitoba High School Field Lacrosse League as well as board members and the current year’s Referee-in-Chief.
2.1 All members will agree to comply with the Constitution and By-Laws of the League as amended from time to time, and with any regulations and rulings made by or on behalf of the League.
2.2 All High Schools in the Province of Manitoba may apply for membership within the League. High School Field Lacrosse is for Grade 9 to 12 students.
2.3 Membership in the League is accorded on an annual basis from April 1-March 31 and all members will re-apply for membership each year.
2.4 Membership dues will be determined annually by the Board of Directors.
2.5 Initial deposit for membership dues is payable on or before March 1st of each year (any deadline date will be the first working day following the deadline if it falls on a Saturday, Sunday or holiday). Final membership dues will be payable by April 1st of each year.
2.6 A member will be expelled from the League for failing to pay membership dues by the deadline dates prescribed herein.
2.7 A member may resign from the League by giving a written notice to the Board. A member may not resign from the League when the member is subject to disciplinary investigation or action of the League.
2.8 A member may be suspended or expelled from the League in accordance with the League’s policies and procedures relating to discipline of members and by two-thirds vote of the voting members present at the Annual General Meeting. The member must be given notice of and the opportunity to be present at to be heard at such a meeting.
2.9 A member of the League will be in good standing provided that the member:
- owes no outstanding debts to the League;
- has not ceased to be a member;
- has not been suspended or expelled from membership, or had other membership restrictions or sanctions imposed;
- has complied with the Constitution, By-Laws, Operating policies and rules of the League; and
- is not subject to a disciplinary investigation or action by the League, or if subject to disciplinary action previously, has fulfilled all terms and conditions of such disciplinary action to the satisfaction of the Board.
2.10 Members who cease to be in good standing will not be entitled to vote at meetings of members.
ARTICLE 3: MEETINGS
3.1 Meetings of the members will be the Annual General Meeting.
3.2 The Annual Meeting of the League will be held during the month of October in each and every year, such date to be set by the Board, and in the event of their failure to act, by the President.
3.3 Notice of such meeting must be forwarded by e-mail, fax, or mail a minimum of thirty (30) days prior to the date of said meeting to each member in good standing of the League. This notice will include:
- the place of the meeting
- the date of the meeting
- the agenda for the meeting
- the proposed amendments to the Constitution or By-Laws
- 4 Quorum – At the Annual General Meeting of the League a minimum of 8 of the members in good standing will constitute a quorum.
- 5 Procedures at the Annual General Meeting:
- Call to order
- Establishment of a quorum
- Approval of agenda
- Declaration of any conflicts of interest
- Adoption of minutes of previous meeting
- Financial report
- Member reports
- Amendments to Constitution and By-Laws
- Other Business
- No other business than the adjournment or termination of the meeting will be conducted at an Annual General Meeting at a time when a quorum is not present. If at any time during an Annual General Meeting there ceases to be quorum present, business then in progress will be suspended until there is a quorum present or until the meeting is adjourned or terminated.
3.6 Any member who wishes to have new business placed on the agenda of a meeting will give written notice to the League at least ten (10) days prior to the meeting date or upon the sole discretion of the President or designate.
3.7 Voting – At all Annual meetings of the League, all members in good standing are entitled to one vote.
- a) Every question, except for the elections, will be decided in the first instance by a show of hands unless a poll is demanded by any member.
- b) No person will cast more than one vote on any question not withstanding the fact that more than one office in this League will be held.
- c) The majority of votes of members present will decide each issue.
- d) The President will only have a vote in the event of a tie.
ARTICLE 4: GOVERNANCE
4.1 The Board of Directors of the League consist of:
- Vice President
- 2 Members at Large
4.2 Any individual who is eighteen (18) years of age or older and in good standing is eligible for election to the Executive.
4.3 Elections will be decided by majority vote of the members in accordance with the following:
- a) One valid nomination – winner declared by acclamation.
- b) Two or more valid nominations – winner is the nominee receiving the greatest number of votes.
4.4 The election of the Board will take place as follows:
- a) The President and Treasurer/Secretary will be elected by the membership at the Annual General Meeting held in even numbered years.
- b) The Vice President will be elected by the membership at the Annual General Meeting in odd numbered years.
- c) The 2 Members at Large will be elected by the membership at the Annual General Meeting held every year.
4.5 The President, Vice President, Treasurer/Secretary,will serve terms of two years.
4.6 In the event of a vacancy occurring on the Board, the members of the Board, providing a quorum exists, may appoint a replacement to fill the vacancy until the next Annual General Meeting.
4.7 In the event that a restructuring of the Board occurs and existing Board positions are dissolved and new positions are created, those individuals occupying the dissolved positions that have any time remaining in their term, do not automatically fill the new position. An election will be held to fill these new positions.
4.8 The Board may make policies and procedures and manage the affairs of the League in accordance with these By-Laws.
4.9 The Board may make policies and procedures relating to the discipline of members and will have the authority to discipline members in accordance with such policies and procedures.
4.10 Meetings of the Board of Directors will be held at any time and place as determined by any Board member.
4.11 Written notice served other than by e-mail, fax, or mail, of Board meetings, will be given to all members at least seven (7) days prior to the scheduled meeting. Notice served by mail will be sent at least fourteen (14) days prior to the meeting.
4.12 The Board will hold at least four (4) meetings per year.
4.13 At any meeting of the Board of Directors, quorum will consist of a majority of the current Board.
4.14 Each Board member is entitled to one vote, excluding the President who will only vote in the case of a tie. Voting will be by a show of hands unless a majority of Board members present request a secret ballot.
4.15 Each team is entitled to one vote. If a team representative also hold s apposition on the Board then they will only be granted one vote.
ARTICLE 5: DUTIES OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
5.1 The President – will preside at the Annual General Meeting of the League and Executive and Board of Directors meetings. The President will be charged with the general management and supervision of the affairs and operations of the League. If the President is unable to carry out his/her duties, the Vice President will assume these duties and powers.
5.2 The Vice President – will be responsible for maintaining/updating the League’s Constitution and By-Laws and Operating Policies. The Vice President will assume the duties of the President in the absence of the President.
5.3 The Treasurer/Secretary – will keep and preserve full and accurate account of all receipts and disbursements of the League and proper books of account. He/she will submit a final report at the Annual General Meeting. And, will record all minutes at the Annual General Meeting, Executive and Board meetings of the League. The Treasurer/Secretary will submit a legible copy of such minutes to the Manitoba Lacrosse Association and to the League.
5.4 The 2 Members at Large – will be responsible for bringing information to the attention of the board that they have witnessed/observed/heard.
ARTICLE 6: COMMITTEES
6.1 The League will have the following Standing Committee:
- The Disciplinary Committee
- The Disciplinary Committee will consist of six (6) members of the Board as appointed by the President. For each disciplinary action the President will designate three (3) of the six (6) Disciplinary Committee members to sit on a sub-disciplinary committee. Members will be designated based on their affiliation with the conflict.
- The President will designate the Chairman for each sub-disciplinary committee; it will have three (3) of the six (6) members.
- The Committee is authorized to sit in judgement on appeals of any disciplinary action involving suspensions of players, coaches, team officials or officials of the League. It is authorized to sit in judgement on matters of reinstatement.
- The committee must include the RIC or designate.
ARTICLE 7: FINANCE AND MANAGEMENT
7.1 The fiscal year of the League will be April 1st. to March 31st. or such other period as the Board may from time to time determine.
7.2 Interim financial statements are to be distributed at each meeting of the League.
7.3 The authorized signatures on cheques will be any two (2) of the following three (3) persons: President, Vice President and Treasurer/Secretary.
7.4 The banking business of the League will be conducted at such financial institution as the Board may designate.
ARTICLE 8: INCIDENT REPORTS
8.1 Written notification of any incident will be submitted to the President within 24 hours of the incident.
8.2 The President will designate three (3) members from the Disciplinary Committee to sit on the Sub-Disciplinary Committee within 48 hours of the incident.
8.3 The Sub-Disciplinary Committee will meet within seven (7) days of the incident.
8.4 The President may suspend the person(s) involved in the incident until the Sub-Disciplinary Committee has reached a decision.
8.5 The person(s) involved in the incident will have the right to appeal as per MLA policy.
ARTICLE 9: AMENDMENTS TO THE CONSTITUTION AND BY-LAWS
9.1 Amendments or alterations to the Constitution and By-Laws of this League may be made at any Annual General Meeting.
9.2 No such amendments will be made unless carried by a vote of two-thirds (2/3) of the members voting at an Annual Meeting. The President will vote only in the case of a tie.
9.3 Notice of any proposed amendment to be brought to a vote before the voting membership must be in writing to the Treasurer/Secretary of the League at least twenty (20) days prior to the date of the meeting at which such amendment is to be submitted. Proposed amendments will be circulated to all members fifteen (15) days prior to the meeting.
9.4 When a notice of proposed amendment has not been served as provided for herein, the notice of proposed amendment may be brought to the floor at any Annual General Meeting by a unanimous vote of the members present.
ARTICLE 10: DESIGNATES
10.1 The Board will appoint the Referee-in-Chief each year. Appointment must be made within seven (7) days of the Annual General Meeting.
10.2 The Referee-in-Chief – will be appointed by the Board as per Article 10.1. He/she will be responsible for assigning referees for all League games and will evaluate all referees. Midway and at the end of the season, the Referee-in-Chief will submit to the Treasurer/Secretary the names of the officials, how many games officiated and payment due.
10.3 The appointed Referee-in-Chief will be a voting member of the board for the year in which they are appointed Referee-in-Chief.